Saturday, January 10, 2004

Witches cast their spell over Llandaff for a day - icWales

Witches cast their spell over Llandaff for a day - icWales
May 17 2003 by Claire Hill, The Western Mail

WITCHES throughout Wales will be convening in Cardiff today to celebrate their religion.

The Witchfest, to be held at Llandaff Rugby Club, will feature speakers on subjects ranging from teenage witchcraft to pagan artwork.

Welsh witch Jo Winter believes the success of the festival is down to a growing acceptance of witchcraft throughout the world.

She said, "I belong to the Children of Artemis and in the past few years their membership has increased from 1,000 to a million.

"It is a lot safer to be a witch now. I think because the world is getting smaller, everyone has got closer and openly discussing issues on the internet."

Today's event, to be held metres from Llandaff Cathedral, runs from 10am till midnight and has already sold out.

Ms Winter is looking forward to spending a day with like-minded people.

She believes she has always been a witch, but it took her many years for her to tell people. "I was not actually out of the broom cupboard when I was bringing up my children, but I have always been able to do things."

As a practising witch, the 58-year-old from Cardiff still hasn't told some friends about her lifestyle and has regularly had people shouting at her for being a witch.

However, she said programmes such as Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Sabrina The Teenage Witch and Charmed, which show witches in a glamorous light, have helped to make the religion and lifestyle more appealing.

"Anybody can do anything that they want, but people who practise witchcraft are careful at what they do and others do not believe they can do it."

The interest in teenage witchcraft will be highlighted by Teresa Moorey, mother of four, who has written a book about teenagers and witchcraft.

However, though there is some acceptance of witches in modern society not everyone is willing to allow people their own viewpoints.

Ms Winter said, "I have had people come into the shop where I work and see my pendant and decry me as the devil.

"But that is a Christian invention. Sometimes people will listen to me but others just shout.

"I feel sorry for people who would not stop and talk about things.

"I think to have any spiritual belief that you accept to follow and really believe is very enriching. I have no problems about people dying, as I have beliefs about where they go."

Witches live by very few rules, but they believe this is enough to fulfil a positive life.

"The main rule is to do as you will, but do not hurt anybody and that everything comes back to you three-fold," she said.

No comments: