Saturday, December 29, 2007

Things that go bump in the night... - icWales

Things that go bump in the night... - icWales

TALES of the unexpected have fascinated people for centuries, but never has the search for the paranormal been so popular.

There seems to be almost an obsession (well, on satellite channels anyway) with things that go bump in the night, so I went along to Llancaiach Fawr Manor to see for myself.

Having visited the museum on school trips, the most scary experience I had had was nearly being sick on the bus from eating the ridiculous amount of sandwiches and chocolate my mam always used make me take on every outing.

I didn’t expect this night to be any different, although I promised myself I’d only eat the one KitKat this time.

Llancaiach Fawr Manor in Nelson has a rich and colourful history, after being built in 1530 it has survived through the reigns of the Tudors and Stuarts and it is thought played host to King Charles I during the Civil War.

The living history museum has such a reputation, that a team from the LivingTV series Most Haunted, stayed overnight in their quest to prove that ghosts exist.

After it was voted one of the top ten most haunted places in Britain, Yvette Fielding, and animated scouse psychic Derek Acorah investigated the possibilities that a former housekeeper, known as Martha or “Mattie” still stares out of her bedroom window, and children from hundreds of years ago still play on the stairs.

During the programme, Derek said Martha was murdered and one of the crew witnessed a shadowy figure.

I’m neither a sceptic or a believer, so I was keeping an open mind. To be honest, I desperately wanted something to happen, but no matter how much I squinted my eyes I just couldn’t see that lady in the window who so many people have reported....

No comments: